Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Baking time

I have a child with chronic issues in the constipation department.  It is difficult to find foods that this child will eat without a battle- that will keep that area regular.

I decided this weekend to try some bran muffins again... and searched around to find a good recipe.  One that balanced the health benefits of bran muffins, with flavor and enough sweetness that will actually make it nice to eat.

I think I found the right recipe.  I took one I found and tweaked it a little bit to work for us.

Pumpkin Bran Muffins

3 tbsp butter melted
1 1/2 cups bran cereal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar

2 cups buttermilk
1 15oz can pumpkin puree
6 tbsp molassas
2 eggs

Mix it all up together and let it sit for a few minutes to soften up the bran cereal.

Scoop into well greased muffin tins (I used an ice cream scoop... and it divided out perfectly).

Bake at 350 degree's for about 18 minutes.

It makes 24 regular size muffins...

I think next time I might try subsituting applesauce for the butter, use all whole wheat flour, and use the liquid egg substitute for the whole eggs- that would keep the fat down a little bit.

If you do weight watcher's points- the recipe as I made it makes each muffin 3 points: 135 calories, 2.15 fat grams and 1.36 fiber. 

Next time when I try the changes it would be 2 points: 125 calories, .95 fat grams, and 1.36 fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment